Extract from Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72):
PHILLACK, a parish and a sub-district in Redruth district, Cornwall. The parish lies on St. Ives bay, the river Hayle, and the West Cornwall railway, around Hayle r. station, and 4 miles S E by E of St. Ives. It contains the hamlets of Angarrack, Guilford, Logans, and Venton-League; it contains also part of the sea-port village of Hayle, which has a head post-office; and it has fairs on 20 June and 4 Aug. Acres, 3,237; of which 330 are water. Real property, £24,283; of which £21,055 are in mines, £160 in iron-works, and £400 in railway s. Pop. in 1851, 4,800; in 1861, 5,381. Houses, 1,022.
The property is subdivided. Penpol, Bodriggy, and Riviere are chief residences. Drifting sand has largely encroached on the land from the shore, and forms menacing towns. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Gwithian, in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £540. Patron, the Rev. F. Hockin. The church, excepting the tower, was rebuilt in 1856. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school. Gwithianchurch, except the tower, was rebuilt in 1866.