The combined hamlets of Middle Handley, Nether Handley and West Handley were originally in the parish of Staveley, but were transferred to the parish of Eckington in the 1970s.
St. John the Baptist at Middle Handley was built in 1838 as a Chapel of Ease of Staveley (whose church is also dedicated to St. John). Its cost was met principally by William Spencer, 6th Duke of Devonshire.
The church at Middle Handley is now redundant and plans are in hand (December 2014) to auction it for sale for conversion to a private dwelling.
The Devonshire Arms public house (pictured right), also at Middle Handley, was named after the principal landowner and lord of the manor, The Duke of Devonshire.