Extract from the Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72):
CLAWTON, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in Holsworthy district, Devon. The village stands near the rivulet Claw, 3 miles S of Holsworthy, and 13 N by W of Lifton r. station; and has a post office under Holsworthy, North Devon. The parish comprises 5, 358 acres. Real property, £2, 726. Pop., 549. Houses, 112. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to the trustees of the late Sir William Molesworth. Court Barn is the seat of the Melhuish family. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £64. Patron, W. W. Melhuish, Esq. The church was reported in 1859 as old and very bad. There are chapels for Methodists and Bible Christians. The sub-district contains four parishes and part of another. Acres, 16, 990. Pop., 1,805. Houses, 358.