Milford-on-Sea

a one place study

Extract from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales c.1870-1872):

MILFORD, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Lymington district, Hants. The village stands on the coast, opposite the Needles. 3½ miles SW by S of Lymington r. station; and has a post office under Lymington, and a coast-guard station. The parish comprises the tythings of Milford, Lyford, Efford, and Keyhaven.

Acres, 5,286; of which 750 are water. Real property, £7,168. Pop., 1,784. Houses, 380. Milford-Lodge is the seat of W. Broadwood, Esq. Efford House, Newlands, Kivernells, and Rook Cliff also are chief residences. A rivulet from the New Forest traverses the parish, and is well stocked with fish. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £279.* Patron, Queen's College, Oxford. The church has Norman portions; is chiefly early English and early decorated; recently underwent thorough restoration; has a tower with grotesque heads in the string course, and with long double lancets above, surmounted by a spire; and contains a monument by Macdowel to Sir James Carnac, and one by Foley to Admiral Sir William Cornwallis. The p. curacy of Pennington is a separate benefice. There are a national school, and charities £62.—The sub-district contains also two other parishes and part of Wilverley-Walk. Acres, 17,902. Pop., 4,024. Houses, 857.

Milford-on-Sea

Hampshire | England

Published by:

               ladapeidrib